Welcome to From Coupons to Cuisine. Each week, I will use one of the grocery store sale flyers to create a dinner based on the sales for that week. The emphasis for each meal plan will be to create a dinner that is both healthy and frugal. Each meal plan I create will make the assumption that you have certain staples in your refrigerator or pantry. I will include links to recipes for your convenience.
This week, our healthy and frugal meal comes from the Price Chopper Deals and Coupon Match Ups 4/1 – 4/7/12.
Easter is fast approaching which means lots of running around. This crock pot meal is an easy way to feed your family a healthy, great tasting meal without too much fuss. A really great tip is to put everything in the crock pot in the evening before bed and have it cook while you sleep. In the morning, place the crock in the refrigerator. All you’ll have to do is heat up the Chicken Cacciatore and make some pasta when you get home from work.
What’s for Dinner?
Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore
Shopping List (Based on a family of four)
- 3-4 lbs PC oven roasting chicken 1.00 lb cut into pieces
- 1 Can Hunt’s crushed tomatoes .68
- 2 Cans (6 oz) Hunt’s tomato paste .68
- Dole salad kits BOGO ($.75/2 printable)
From Your Pantry:
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
Putting it all together:
- Place onions in bottom of crock pot
- Add the chicken
- Mix all the other ingredients together in a bowl and then pour over the chicken
- Cook everything on low heat for 7-9 hours, or on high heat for 3-4
- Serve over rice or pasta with a salad
This meal will cost you approximately $9.00 at the grocery store this week. If you add in the cost for the few other ingredients from your pantry, you have a fabulous meal for 4 people for about $11.00.