Welcome to From Coupons to Cuisine. Each week, I will use one of the grocery store sale flyers to create a dinner based on the sales for that week. The emphasis for each meal plan will be to create a dinner that is both healthy and frugal. Each meal plan I create will make the assumption that you have certain staples in your refrigerator or pantry. I will include links to recipes for your convenience.
This week, our healthy and frugal meal comes from the ShopRite Deals and Coupon Match Ups 1.8-1/14/12.
Ham is on sale at all the grocery stores this week. Let’s face it, unless you have 10 people in your family, a ham is going to leave you with a ton of leftovers. That’s why I’ve decided to include two recipes this week. The first is a basic baked ham recipe with a twist. The second recipe is my favorite thing to do with leftover ham.
What’s for Dinner?
Shopping List (Based on a family of four)
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast (40% off Tyson poultry)
- Olivia’s organics salad 3.29 ($1/1 printable = 2.29)
- 1 Can Tuttorosso tomatoes (12/$6.99 – must buy 12 = less than .59 each)
- 1 – 2 Cans Red Pack pasta sauce .79
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
From Your Pantry:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 Box pasta of your choice
- Additional veggies for your salad
Putting it all together:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the chicken, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and garlic until the chicken is no longer pink inside, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and basil. Bring the mixture to a boil, and reduce heat. Cover the skillet and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken mixture is simmering, prepare the pasta according to the box directions. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- Serve the chicken cacciatore over the hot cooked noodles. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.
This meal will cost you approximately $8.00 at the grocery store this week. If you add in the cost for the few other ingredients from your pantry, you have a fabulous meal for 4 people for about $10.00.