Welcome to From Coupons to Cuisine. Each week, I will use one of the grocery store sale flyers to create a dinner based on the sales for that week. The emphasis for each meal plan will be to create a dinner that is both healthy and frugal. Each meal plan I create will make the assumption that you have certain staples in your refrigerator or pantry. I will include links to recipes for your convenience.
This week, our healthy and frugal meal comes from the ShopRite Deals and Coupon Match Ups 3/11 – 3/17/12
This week the big push at the grocery stores is corned beef brisket; however, what happens if you’re not a big corned beef fan? Luckily, pork chops are on sale this week for only $1.77 per pound. Not only is the following recipe really yummy, it only takes about 30 minutes to prepare, baked, and get onto the table.
What’s for Dinner?
Shopping List (Based on a family of four)
- 2-3 lbs (4 chops) of Center cut pork chops 1.77 lb
- Russet potatoes 5 lb bag 1.99
From Your Pantry:
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Putting it all together:
- In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients.
- Dredge pork chops in flour mixture. In a skillet over medium heat, brown chops in oil on both sides, about 8 minutes.
- Combine the sauce ingredients; pour over chops.
- Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 20 minutes. Spoon sauce over ch0ps when serving.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
This meal will cost you approximately $7.00 at the grocery store this week. If you add in the cost for the few other ingredients from your pantry, you have a fabulous meal for 4 people for about $8.00.