Welcome to From Coupons to Cuisine. Each week, I will use one of the grocery store sale flyers to create a dinner based on the sales for that week. The emphasis for each meal plan will be to create a dinner that is both healthy and frugal. Each meal plan I create will make the assumption that you have certain staples in your refrigerator or pantry. I will include links to recipes for your convenience.
This week, our healthy and frugal meal comes from the Price Chopper Deals and Coupon Match Ups 3/4 – 3/10/12
I don’t often see ground beef on sale for such a good price, so that’s what I’m basing this week’s recipe on. Although this week’s sale would be perfect for Gary’s Shepherd’s Pie because both ground beef and canned corn are on sale, I’ve already “been there, done that” as a recipe. Instead, I think tacos are in order this week. My family LOVES tacos and it’s a way I can make a small amount of meat go much further. This version uses tortilla chips instead of traditional shells.
What’s for Dinner?
Shopping List (Based on a family of four)
- 2 lbs 80% Lean Ground Beef 1.88 lb
- Vine ripe tomatoes 4 pk 1.00
- Earthbound Farms spring mix or spinach 4.99 ($5/1 printable = FREE)
- PC tortilla chips 1.00
- 1/8 cup Jiffy corn muffin mix .47
From Your Pantry:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Putting it all together:
- Taco Seasoning – In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet until shimmering. Add onion; saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and 3-4 tablespoons of taco seasoning; saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add beef and cook, stirring often, until it loses its raw color.
- Stir in tomatoes; simmer to blend flavors, about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in Jiffy corn muffin mix; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens, almost instantly
- Serve meat over tortillas. Garnish with fresh tomatoes and lettuce.
This meal will cost you approximately $6.00 at the grocery store this week. If you add in the cost for the few other ingredients from your pantry, you have a fabulous meal for 4 people for about $8.00.