Welcome to From Coupons to Cuisine. Each week, I will use one of the grocery store sale flyers to create a dinner based on the sales for that week. The emphasis for each meal plan will be to create a dinner that is both healthy and frugal. Each meal plan I create will make the assumption that you have certain staples in your refrigerator or pantry. I will include links to recipes for your convenience.
This week, our healthy and frugal meal comes from the Geissler Deals and Coupon Match Ups 3/18 – 3/24/12
This week the big push at the grocery stores is corned beef brisket; however, what happens if you’re not a big corned beef fan? Luckily, pork chops are on sale this week for only $1.77 per pound. Not only is the following recipe really yummy, it only takes about 30 minutes to prepare, baked, and get onto the table.
What’s for Dinner?
Zesty Salsa Chicken
Shopping List (Based on a family of four)
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breast cut into “fingers” 1.89 lb
- 2 Zucchini julienned .89 lb
- 2 Summer squash julienned .89 lb
- 1 Bag Pennsylvania Dutch egg noodles prepared according to directions on bag .89 ($1/2 03-04-12 SS = .39 each)
- 1 Jar Chi-Chi’s salsa 2.50 (.50/1 02-12-12 SS = 1.50)
From Your Pantry:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Putting it all together:
- In a large skillet, saute the chicken in the oil until lightly browned on both sides, then add the zucchini and saute it until lightly browned on all sides.
- Add salsa and continue cooking until salsa is heated through
- Serve over egg noodles
This meal will cost you approximately $9.50 at the grocery store this week. If you add in the cost for the few other ingredients from your pantry, you have a fabulous meal for 4 people for about $9.60.