Welcome to From Coupons to Cuisine. Each week, I will use one of the grocery store sale flyers to create a dinner based on the sales for that week. The emphasis for each meal plan will be to create a dinner that is both healthy and frugal. Each meal plan I create will make the assumption that you have certain staples in your refrigerator or pantry. I will include links to recipes for your convenience.
This week, our healthy and frugal meal comes from the ShopRite Deals and Coupon Match Ups 9/30 – 10/6/12.
This recipe comes from my very first cook book: The Better Homes and Gardens Junior Cook Book for the Hostess & Host of Tomorrow (1963). My grandmother gave me this book and I made MANY recipes from it while growing up. This Potato Chip Chicken recipe is the very first one I made all by myself. The picture above is from the cookbook! I STILL love this chicken.
What’s for Dinner?
Potato Chip Chicken
Shopping List (Based on a family of four)
- 2-3 lbs Perdue chicken leg quarters .79 lb ($1/1 Facebook Q)
- Herr’s potato chips 1.88 ($1/1 printable HERE, HERE, and HERE = .88)
- Broccoli rabe .99 lb
From Your Pantry:
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon powdered garlic
- Pepper to taste
Putting it all together:
- Crush the chips in the bag until they are small crumbs
- Add spices and mix thoroughly
- Coat chicken pieces in melted butter
- Roll chicken in potato chip crumbs and place on baking sheet
- Sprinkle remaining crumbs over chicken pieces
- Bake at 375 for 1 hour
You can serve this meal with broccoli rabe, sauteed with garlic and parmesan. YUM!
This meal will cost you approximately $6.00 at the grocery store this week. If you add in the cost for the few other ingredients from your pantry, you have a fabulous meal for 4 people for about $7.00.